- Immerse yourself in uncomfortable learning communities
- Don't do anything out of guilt
- Become a part of a community - let the neighborhood teach you
- Ask "How can I be sustainable in this community?"
- Be okay with who you are
- Be bold in what you can offer that community
- Be comfortable with chaos
- Create liminal space for conversation and learning to happen
- Be proactive in learning about other cultures
Monday, March 28, 2011
Being a Therapeutic Presence in a Multi-Cultural World
I am currently in a class called "Developing an Intercultural Competency." Last week we had 4 guest speakers in class who are all doing multi-cultural work here in Seattle. They were fascinating to listen to, but I was most intrigued by what was said the waning minutes of class. Our professor asked them to each make a few closing comments on how one might go about becoming a therapeutic presence in a multi-cultural world. These are their responses, which I thought were brilliant.